This release was mainly focused on stability and fixing performance issues of the service.
The most affected component was transcoding. Here is a short list of changes:
- Dropped HEVC-support - transcoding from HEVC(x265) to h264(x264) is a really heavy lifting that freezes work of whole service.
- Dropped “fast forward” functionality - now transcoding starts always from the beginning. It makes possible to just repack stream to HLS instead of “real transcoding”. This change also dramatically insreases quality of h264-based video. Also “fast forward” freezes sometimes and looks quite unreliable.
Here we see an example of reducing features in favor of image quality and service stability.
Here is a list of newly opensourced components:
- torrent-web-seeder - wrapper around BitTorrent-client
- content-transcoder - transcodes HTTP-stream to HLS
- torrent-store - temporary torrent storage with Redis backend and GRPC access
- magnet2torrent - magnet-uri to torrent converter as GRPC-service
Thank you for using webtor.io and sponsor it if you wish!